At the time, I heard that they were developing a “Foundations in FM” course for local facility practitioners. Recently, they decided to provide a copy of my new book “Managing Facilities & Real Estate” to each participant in the course.
As a result, I decided to learn more about what MEFMA was trying to accomplish in the Middle East so I asked the Membership & Event Director, Sinead Bridgett, a few questions, which are answered further below.
On the subject about developing the profession, I’ve just returned from Abuja, Nigeria, where they have a strong IFMA chapter and quite a few FMP certified Facility Managers. I gave a short speech about the “Sustainable FM” at a chapter meeting and will do a future item on my trip.
1. Why did MEFMA decide to develop and deliver the Foundation in FM course?
Education, training and knowledge sharing form the backbone of MEFMA policy. Until the launch of the MEFMA accredited Foundation in FM course there was no recognised regional qualification for FM practioners to attain.
MEFMA members can now equip themselves with the necessary certified skills to strategically move their operations forward, and meet and exceed client and end-users requirements while significantly benefitting the business bottom line.
2. For your first course in April, what level of FM professional attended?
MEFMA course delegates came from a wide range of backgrounds and job functions. We were fortunate to have technical, supervisory, managerial, administrative, business development and financial skills represented within the group which made for very interesting, useful and informed discussion throughout the week.
3. What kind of reaction have you received from the FM industry and from participants in the first course in particular?
The course was very well subscribed by delegates from some of the region’s major FM companies from the UAE and Qatar. It was refreshing to see these companies investing in the personal development of their staff, as well as supporting their own business goals. There is a clear desire and commitment to improve capabilities and skill levels within the region’s FM profession.
4. What is it about the Middle East market that makes this course valuable?
As mentioned, this course is the first of its kind in the region. Furthermore, facility managers face daily challenges unique to the climatic and socio-economic conditions of the region. They require a course specifically tailored to deliver practical solutions to meet these challenges.
High on the delegate list of expectations were business development methods and the creation of FM policies and procedures. The foundation course provides the basis to meet both of these expectations and more.
5. Will there be other FM related courses provided in the future, and if so, what will the focus be?
Yes, further Foundation in FM courses are calendared throughout the year and region. Check out http://www.mefma.org for upcoming dates and locations. We are also working with our partners to provide additional, graded courses, to meet members’ needs.
6. Why did you decide to provide each participant with a copy of Managing Facilities & Real Estate?
MEFMA always looks to add value to its members through its resource library. Managing Facilities & Real Estate explores numerous topics and strategies relevant to FMs wherever in the world they are practicing. Facility managers are the custodians of the built environment. The diversity of the profession naturally requires a broad skill set, and the book delivers across the board.
7. What else is MEFMA doing to develop the industry in the Middle East?
MEFMA undertakes a number of initiatives including networking events, certified training courses, focus groups and high profile industry print and live event media activities across the Middle East.
- Monthly networking breakfasts
- Regional association conferences
- Has just completed its first certified Foundation in FM course (more to follow)
- Is wrapping up its first round of focus group findings (there are another six on the table)
- Has an active presence at 12 regional exhibitions and conferences
- Has numerous advertising and editorial partnerships with leading industry publications, live events and award ceremonies
- Is actively engaged with Global FM in upcoming joint initiatives
Of course, this could not have been achieved in such a short period without the support of our membership. And I would like to thank our nine founding, 30 corporate and 200 plus associate members – not forgetting those non-members who also voluntarily involve themselves with MEFMA.
In the spirit of the association’s vision, ‘Together we can’, real team work has, and will always be, the backbone of MEFMA.
8. What are the contents for the Foundation in FM Course and how can Facility Managers learn more?
The MEFMA Foundation in FM course is approved by the Dubai Real Estate Institute, RERA and Global FM. The content and contact information are below:
Day 1 – Operation and Maintenance
- Introduction to Operations and Maintenance
- Facility Needs assessment / condition survey
- Delivering the O&M service – Lifecycle perspective
- Procurement / SLA’s KPI’s
- Technology and FM
Day 2 – Project Management
- Introduction to Project Management
- Scoping the project
- Planning the project
- Implementing the plan
- Project evaluation
Day 3 – Finance and Business Essentials
- Finance and Business in the Facility Organisation
- Financial Management of the Facility Organisation
Day 4 – Management Skills
- Leading and Managing
- Organizational behaviour
Day 5 – Sustainability in Facilities Management
- Environmental Management & Rating Systems
- Green Building Core Concepts
For more information, contact email@example.com or call the office on +971 (0)4 42677 25