Does your Company know why a Professional Facilities Manager like you is essential to get the best value out of their Facilities?
Facilities represent a large part of any company’s assets and expenses (usually the second highest cost behind personnel) yet Facilities Management doesn’t usually receive the same attention that other parts of organization receive.
Having a professional facilities management resource to provide strategic direction and stewardship is critical to getting results, lowering costs and minimizing risk.
Facilities Management is a Profession, but it’s not always recognized by some companies and only recently have College and University programs become available and designations like IFMA’s Facilities Management Professional (FMP) gaining widespread popularity internationally.
However, with increasing awareness of the importance, costs, risks and opportunities inherent in owning or leasing facilities, it’s gradually shifting from simply being a job description to being a strategically important professional role.
The following are Nine reasons your company needs a Facilities Management Professional:
- Facilities are one of your company’s larges assets and a represent a significant cost of doing business. A Facility Management Professional has the knowledge to maximize value and minimize costs, adding directly to the bottom line.
- Facilities and the environment they provide employees, processes and systems have a large impact on productivity. A Facility Management Professional understands the company’s business and the interaction with the Facility necessary to maximize productivity.
- Facility accommodations, whether in growth mode or not, require strategic planning to minimize costs and maximize value. A Facility Management Professional provides strategic direction and development or leasing guidance to achieve the results the company needs.
- Sustainability is critical to the environment for the company and its employees as well as corporate image. A Facility Management Professional provides the stewardship required to maintain leadership on the environment.
- The environmental and legislative complexity of owning or leasing Facilities represents a huge risk to the company. A Facility Management Professional navigates the requirements and mitigates the risk.
- Facilities require an entire team of generalists and specialists to provide services. A Facility Management Professional understands how to make these resources work together to maximize value, reduce risk and minimize costs.
- The Facilities that house your business can absorb considerable effort to manage effectively. A Facility Management Professional takes on this burden and frees up other resources to fully focus on what makes the company successful in delivering its core business and generating bottom line results.
- Managing Facilities with an administrative resource or line manager means it won’t get the attention it deserves and may put the company at risk. A Facility Management Professional has training, background and experience in all areas of the complex issues and services required to provide safe, effective stewardship to the companies Facility assets.
- A Facility Management Professional has the experience and overall oversight for Facilities issues, enabling them to see patterns, track changes and identify risks that may have a future negative impact. Their knowledge enables them to take corrective action now to reduce your risk and costs.
- Facilities Management is supported by both local associations and large international associations such as IFMA with over 22,000 members worldwide and widely recognized industry designations for professionals, demonstrating that it is more than just a job, it is a profession.
Now that you know the top nine reasons your company needs a professional Facilities Manager like you, it’s time to promote yourself and your profession within your organization.